Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Second Thoughts About Agent Pendergast


During a quick trip to Austria over the weekend for a family wedding, I re-read White Fire, an Agent Pendergast novel from 2013. I'd forgotten that it's such a wonderful homage to Sherlock Holmes, including a better-than-average pastiche!

My opinion remains what I blogged at the time. It's highly entertaining, with special treats for Sherlockians. But it struck me the second time around that the uninitiated might take a lot of the fictional backstory as being true. This is a novel. If you're unsure which of the parts including real people (primarily Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde) didn't actually happen, there are many factual sources to go to.

May I recommend From Holmes to Sherlock?  

2 comments:

  1. I love all of Preston and Child's books especially those about Agent Pendergast. I also love Sherlock Holmes and last week I ordered "From Holmes to Sherlock" from the Mysterious Bookshop. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many favorites that I read and re-read, but I'm always on the lookout for my next "book friend", and since I have so much to read, I can be patient. If something looks promising, I start to accumulate every title in a series, sometimes waiting several years until I have every book so that I can read them straight through in order in a white heat. I generally find everything eventually in used book stores, but sometimes I have to buy a final stubbornly missing title online. (Right now, for instance, I've found all but three of Allingham's Albert Campion books, upon the recommendation of Master Sherlockian Roger Johnson. Soon I'll have them, and then I'll be in the world of Campion for a while.)

    I have all the Agent Pendergast books in hardback, and I'm just waiting for the chance to read them. (I've already read, however, the Holmes pastiche in "White Fire".)

    ReplyDelete